Monday, May 01, 2006

Looking for New Music?

Bright Eyes



Well, I know I already told Jebbo about him, but I thought I'd share the news here. Bright Eyes (the band of Conor Oberst) is my new obsession. At fourteen he helped start the record label that he now uses to produce his albums: Saddle Creek.

I found him through NPR who ranked his album

I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning the number two record of 2005. I bought it, and I am hooked.




I've since added two other albums to my collection: Digital Urn, Digital Ash



and Lifted or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground, and both are excellent.

Check out some recorded songs on NPR.org (all songs considered)
or hear an entire concert through NPR on New Folk Poets Concert Series


If you do itunes, and are looking for a few good songs, try:

Easy/Lucky/Free (Digital Ash) sample lyrics:
don't be a criminal in this police state
you better shop and eat and procreate
you got vacation days then you might escape
to a condo on the coast
i set my watch to the atomic clock
i hear the crowd count down 'til the bomb gets dropped
i always figured that there'd be time enough
i never let it get me down
but i can't help it now


Arc of Time (Digital Ash) sample lyrics:
I hear if you make friends
With Jesus Christ
You’ll get right up
From that chalk outline
And then you'll get dolled up
And you'll dress in white
All to take your place
In his chorus line


Lua (Wide Awake) sample lyrics:
You’re looking skinny like a model with your eyes all painted black
You just keep going to the bathroom always say you’ll be right back
Well it takes one to know one, kid, I think you’ve got it bad
But what’s so easy in the evening, by the morning is such a drag.


Road to Joy (Wide Awake) sample lyrics:
So when you’re asked to fight a war that’s over nothing
It’s best to join the side that’s gonna win
And no one’s sure how all of this got started
But we’re gonna make them goddam certain how its gonna end
Oh ya we will, oh ya we will!


Bowl of Oranges (Lifted) sample lyrics:
But if the world could remain within a frame like a painting on a wall.
Then I think we would see the beauty.
Then we would stand staring in awe at our still lives posed like a bowl of oranges,
like a story told by the fault lines and the soil.

Don't Know When But a Day's Gonna Come (Lifted) sample lyrics:
Is it true what I heard about the Son of God? Did he come to save? Did he come at all?
And if I dried his feet, with my dirty hair, would he make me clean again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home