Monday, May 15, 2006

Falling

So then I fell like that girl from a balance beam.
A gymnasium of eyes were all holding on to me.
I lifted one foot to cross the
otherand I felt myself slipping.
It was a small mistake.
Sometimes that is all it takes.
---Bright Eyes, "From a Balance Beam" on Lifted...


In Western culture (and perhaps in others too), the metaphor of falling is central to our way of self-understanding. From Icarus to Rome, and from Adam (and certainly Eve) to Superman all of us are cast out of somewhere. MaryEtta told me, and some experts agree that there are two inborn human fears: fear of loud noises and fear of falling.

What is it with falling? Why do we “fall” into love? Why does Chicken Little’s sky fall? And if it is so terrifying, why do we build thousands of theme parks so that we can ride roller coasters and free falls? Why do we skydive?

In his article, "Why We Love Falling," Garrett Soden says:

Just the idea of falling has been a powerful negative metaphor for millenniums. Our culture is filled with stories that equate falling with failure: Icarus fell because he lacked humility; Lucifer fell from Christian heaven to become Satan; we say that leaders fall from power, that civilisations fall into barbarism, that sinners fall from grace.


In my dictionary, there are 72 definitions of the word fall, and dozens don't refer to the act of moving up or down in space. It seems that the only universal factor here is that falling is used in a general way to express things quickly going wrong: 'to fall to pieces', 'to fall out', 'to fall over oneself'.


Linguist Zoltan Kovecses has pointed out that metaphorically 'up' is good, 'down' is bad. So healthy is up; sick is down: Lazarus rose from the dead. He fell ill. Conscious is up; unconscious is down: Wake up. He sank into a coma. Happy is up; sad is down. I'm feeling up today. He's really low these days. Virtue is up; lack of virtue is down. She's an upstanding citizen. That was a low-down thing to do. This idea seems to be universal. Researchers have checked three unrelated languages - English, Hungarian, and Chinese - and found that all described happiness with 'up' metaphors.



Our falling marks our separation from perfection, from grace, and/or from innocence. This separation even happens in psychoanalytic theory where children are separated from their mother in the Real stage through the insertion of the Phallus or the Law of the Father. It seems that no matter what mythology I study, humans are described as once having had perfection and through their greed, need, or social environment, that perfection was lost through a fall.

From my heap, my crumpled body soaking in my "lack of virtue," I see the world I have created for myself. In this world, I must fight against gravity. I wonder if some worlds allow gravity to keep us from flying away.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

so much to say so much to say so much to say so much to say.

frames of reference

life as a struggle

between my mom and some maggots

mother earth

down under

do aussies fall down or fall up?

frames of reference

what do we fall from

fall from perfection

from grace

innocence

do we fall from the natural state of grace or the unnatural struggle for it?

a child's natural state of selfish innocence. the Lord Our Father or Lord of the Flies?

the perfection of the child, product of falling.

earth to earth

struggle for transcendence, immortality. build a tower to heaven. but my name is Ozymandias and i say earth passes. thoughts live longer. sing a stairway to heaven.
write a poem.

The night's campfire sends sparks into the air. Fire masculine power seeking heights of air masculine intellect. Water feminine emotion flowing deeper into earth feminine security.

What do we fall to?

Gravity is the attraction of bodies. We fall to each other, to bed, to sleep. we rub together, we burn, we fly, we fall.

we rest

fertile soil

ashes to ashes

we sleep, we wake

survive the fall to fly again, to fall again

roller coaster

does our surviving lessen the fear that one day we will not fly

consumed in the beds, the bodies that we fall into?

to sleep perchance

and there's the rub

from death's home we struggle out each day, dreaming of more.

what leads us through these travels, these travails? what atlas calls us to bear the weight of the world?

made of earth, why do we long to be made of air, until there is nothing left?

dust to dust

open up my head and let me out

6:18 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

so...

and...

yes...

and...

I too have had moments when a drill to the temple (fun to think of the multiple meanings of that word) would be helpful...

I like the reminder that we might fall into bed...

thanks jebbo

11:01 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Amy,
It does seem strange that the fear of falling is inborn. I mean, what biological purpose could it serve? I'll do a little more checking to see if I can find out.

10:24 AM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Here's the evidence that I found of fear of falling as inborn on the internet:

http://www.noboundarieshypnosis.com/Phobias.htm
http://www.parentkidsright.com/pt-feardark.html
http://www.washingtonparent.com/articles/0410/fear.html

I'm afraid I don't have the energy for a true academic search. But this little search did remind me of the pleasure/pain threshold. So, that is also important here, as both Amy and Jeff have pointed out.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home