Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Muscadines and scuppernongs

Not only is there a difference between fat and skinny asparagus, there is also a difference between muscadines and suppernongs (beyond the purple/yellow).

I used to think that the color was the only difference, but I've been buying them recently, and there is a taste difference too. Muscadines are sweeter. They are also what grew in the backyard of my great-grandparent's house, and they are, therefore, triggers for all sorts of memories with each seedy bite.

Now, a woman checkout clerk made a comment to me as I was purchasing my muscadines the other day. She said, "Are those tha grapes with all them seeds in 'em?" I smiled and said, "Yes. But they are worth it." She looked at me as if she doubted that.

All in all, I think that they are worth the seeds, just as fresh cherries are worth the pits. So few things are left that are wild in this suburban landscape. (I keep hearing Ani say "Spring is super in the supermarket, and the strawberries prance and glow. nevermind that they're all kinds of tart and tastless as strawberries go. meanwhile wild things are not for sale anymore than they are for show")

So, I've been buying blackberries, blueberries, and muscadines. I've been thinking how they were all better when I picked them myself. When they ripened on the vine. When they were free.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

I still have a problem buying blackberries and blueberries. And eggs, come to think of it.

I look forward to fruit trees.

7:29 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

I've always sort of wished that I had grown up in a city with museums and theater. But I do so cherish my memories of making jelly, creaming corn, and eating okra straight out of the garden.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

Amen, sisters

12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home