Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Power of the Almighty Blog

I know that advertisements work. I sometimes buy a thing that I have no real use for because I saw it in a television commercial or magazine ad. I recently saw an ad for a clothes washer with a steam function that I now think I MUST have.

Jebbo has come cool ideas about how to begin shaping ads for us so that we don't have to endure the ones that make us CRAZY (zoom, zoom, anyone?). And I think he is onto something. But what do we do until then?

I have recently found that we are (inadvertently???) selling things to each other here on these blogs. I try to sell you Bright Eyes and Ani Difranco over and over again. That seems harmless, perhaps because it is intentional. But I after reading Jebbo's post, and I found myself rushing off to get a Wendy's Chicken sandwich. What is that about?

[[insert time for driving, eating, digestion]]

So, now that I am full of spicy chicken, I find myself thinking about this web of connections that we are building. I buy a new HP Photosmart 3310 all-in-one printer, and I tell you that the picture print quality is excellent, the scanner is really good (will scan slides and negatives as well), and it is Wi-Fi (my favorite feature of all). The next time you are considering a new printer, you might think of this and consider that model instead of the Epson that you wanted.

Or, I might tell you that I tried GNC's Potassium Plus (electrolytes), and I had headaches for three days. You might steer clear of those the next time you are considering your choices in electrolytes, and try Electrolyte Stamina pills instead.

The point is, blog is now what neighbors once were. I don't know my neighbors here. I have no idea what kind of toothpaste they would recommend. So, I learn about "things" online now. In short, American consumer culture has shifted. Not away from the market (of course), but toward new networks of markets and marketers: saps like me.

Long live the almighty dollar.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

(scribbles notes on a small pad, stuffs it in his back pocket, and heads off up the mountain...)

(overheard muttering, under his breath,...)

...a cost for everything ... dependence and community ... choices...

2:44 PM  
Blogger anklebiter said...

you don't like a the zoom zoom?

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now i have the feeling that i must look into that printer...so i can sit my ass on the couch and not have to walk downstairs to print work info.....sad isn't it. i am a sucker for ads...remember the lotion that would allow you to shave less often...i fell for it.. bought it..didn't work..next..

10:37 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Ang --

Where is your blog? Get to work! :)

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my blog would being pretty boring compared to you guys. but i will think about it.... :)

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that whole creative gene that you guys are so blessed with...well I don't have it... :)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

keep thinking Ang... we'll taking shopping lists at this point ;-)

5:26 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Don't worry about creative...just update us on your life and what you are doing. Post pictures of the dogs, the boat, whatever. :)

5:39 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

I want to see the red painting!!!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home