Friday, July 21, 2006

Old Times


I ran into someone today that I haven't seen in nearly 20 years. It is strange to be old enough to say that.

Anyway, it is funny to see yourself reflected twenty years back: to see in someone else's eyes what things were expected of you twenty years ago, and watch as what is you now is measured up to that. Some things fall short. Some things broke the box wide open.

The funny thing is that there have been many times that I saw an old high school pal and I ran in another direction so that I didn't have to explain what I have been doing with my life. That wasn't an option this time (she snuck up from behind), but I was actually feeling strangely attracted to my own past today. I don't even know why that is.

So, here I am, contemplating what my life must look like to someone who teaches 5th grade in our hometown. And as I compare today's version of her to the girl I knew 20 years ago (and longer, I met her in 2nd grade), I'm happy to report that she too has come a long way, baby.

There are all sorts of songs and stories about versions of our selves meeting. Today, that girl that still had everything ahead of her is okay with the woman I am. And I like her too.

It's a strangely nice feeling.

1 Comments:

Blogger perrykat said...

A friend from high school named Julie.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home