Monday, July 10, 2006

What is erased?


Listening to the NPR story on Whitman reminded me of this little story:

I recently heard a colleague read Walt Whitman as a Language poet. The presentation confused me because much of it went against what I knew about the topic, and after considering his convincing argument, I started to question my understanding of the parameters of and players within the Language Poetry movement. I left the conversation remembering that I had been under the previous impression that feminist poets had been using Language poetry as a way to disrupt the history of patriarchal poetry, to underscore the difficulty of using language to critique itself, and to find new ways for women to speak without adopting male syntax and grammar rules. But after this Whitman presentation, I was unsure of myself; and I wondered if I had mis-remembered or if I had misunderstood all along.

So, I went home and went straight to my bookshelf. From it, I picked out my newly purchased copy of The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics where I fully expected to find my answer. I was correct and pleasantly surprised to find that the entry for “Language Poetry,” written by Michael Davis, was over two columns long. There in the 8 point, New Times Roman font, was a concise definition of the troubling subject at hand: it (language poetry) “emerged in the mid 1970s [yes, that sounds right, I said to myself] as both a reaction to and an outgrowth of the ‘New Am. Poetry’ as embodied by Black Mountain, New York School, and Beat (q.v.) aesthetics” (Davis 675). Okay, I told myself, but I didn’t think of it as an outgrowth.

As I continued to read, I found that Language Poetry was never a feminist movement at all, and that, according to Davis, it has been a movement headed by men such as Bernstein, Watten, and Perelman. In fact, the name my memory had most clearly identified with the movement, Susan Howe, didn’t appear in his encyclopedic entry. The entry does say that language poetry uses “a relatively neutral voice (or multiple voices)” and so it must be that I’ve spent too much time reading feminist criticism, and I didn’t know that multiple voices would be considered parenthetical. When I closed the 1400 page book to return it to my shelf, I chastised myself: You don’t know half as much as you think you know. I forgot about it. I moved on.

This was not much more than a month ago, and as I began reading for this research project, reading more feminist theory on poetry and poetics, I ran across Australian writer Ann Vickery who points her finger at this Encyclopedia on my shelf to point out the very thing that happened to me: women, and more poignantly feminists, are still erased from the history of, and definitions of, poetry. Because Vickery’s study deals with Language poetry, she actually discusses the very entry that I had been “educated” by. In her book, Leaving Lines of Gender, she reminds us that Lyn Hejinian is the only woman poet mentioned in Davis’s Language Poetry entry. Suddenly the serendipitous nature of my experience could not be denied. No wonder I question myself, no wonder women find themselves outside “the system” over and over again, wondering who we are and how we fit it.

We are still coming in through the back door.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

Okay this one's a ramble but my excuse is it's only a comment.

Last week's Washington Week in Review was held at the Aspen Ideas Festival. The single topic was whether politics was broken. There was an thoughtful discussion (as usual) among the panelists, then audience questions.

One member of the audience asked (paraphrasing), "what happened to the homeless, the poor, the hungry?"

One element of someone's answer was that the media stopped talking about it because the media takes its cues from the political powerful. Expanding on that, I'd say that when the Democrats lost the Congress, then the Presidency, they lost the ability to set the agenda.

Who pays the piper names the tune.

Language like the media is a carrier of meaning. I think of words like congressional districts. They are the tools of our political thought, but the existing political powers largely define them. The powerful of course choose the words, the symbols, the maps (Mercator anyone?) that reinforce their worldview. Those with less power are forced to make their political thought campaigns within the constraints of the word-districts created by those in power.

Over time one hopes the rightness of a cause wins over the thoughts of enough people to reshape the meanings, to redistrict the political lexicon. But as the Supreme Court ruled in the Texas redistricting case last week, the deliniation of such borders is an inherently political process. There are no purely objective standards for grouping people or thoughts.

I'm interested, though, in the practical impacts of syntactical and grammatical elements of the male bias of language. Viewing it from the male side, when I read "he" I'm annoyed because I don't know if it means he or s/he. Similarly, reading "you" is annoying because I don't know if it means "you" or "you all" (pardon the Southern).

I imagine the impact would be a kind of "hey what about me, don't I count?". But then I look at (Christian) prayer in school and "In God We Trust" on the currency". And the fact that the performance of two dozen companies' stock prices in New York is presented as "the economy", perhaps in conjunction with how many people can't find jobs at less than $6 an hour. Ditto the debates about whether Bill Cosby is talking unpleasant truths about African American culture or is hopelessly out of touch.

Does the world "welfare" represent minority women having children to pay for a drug habit, or something fundamental the US government was created to promote?

Does the word "genocide" mean any attempt to exterminate an ethnic group, or only attempts to kill people of our religion/political bloc? Does it only apply in the past tense? What does "never again" mean?

And so on for "freedom" and "democracy" and "free trade" and "supporting our troops". "Patriotism". "Family", "marriage".

Without knowing the Language Poetry movement, I look at what you describe and see something that makes perfect sense. A broad movement challenging the use of language to support the existing power establishment, used differently by groups objecting to different biases in the dominant paradigm.

Perhaps more critically, looking at the pictures of lynching in the Old South with couples in their Sunday best, the idea (if correctly inferred) that the primary bias in language is one of gender rather than power isn't immediately persuasive. More persuasive is the idea that stereotypically (for better or worse) female traits of caring and sensitivity are missing from our dialogs, but this (it can be argued) may be more a reflection of the lack of power of women in society, and that empowered women are (like racial minorities) fundamentally the same as men/whites, and are just as likely to abuse power when given it. I hope this is not the case, that instead there is a vast untapped well of humility and decency and fairness that once liberated will bring a better future. I know of little to justify that hope. (Witness men/women having same views on abortion rights, blacks not being more sympathetic to gay rights, etc.)

Finally, thinking of the MoveOn.org and ANSWER coalitions and the Iraq war or anti-globalization marches, I wonder whether any movement of significance is "owned" by anyone, or if rather, like music, is something that people find resonance in, take what they need, and add their notes to the mix.

3:50 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Yes, yes, yes to much of this. I would argue that language and any movement within it is power based -- gender just happens to be a marker of power and/or powerlessness in this culture.

I give a particular uh-huh to your last paragraph -- I lift my metaphorical glass to resonance and to the free use of language. :)

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home