Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Good Poem

advice

by Ntosake Shange

from Nappy Edges (1978)

people keep telling me to put my feet on the ground

i get mad & scream/ there is no ground

only shit pieces from dogs horses & men who dont live

anywhere/ they tell me think straight & make myself

somethin/ i shout & sigh/ i am a poet/ i write poems/

i make words/ cartwheel & somersault down pages

outta my mouth come visions distilled like bootleg

whisky/ i am like a radio but i am a channel of my own

i keep sayin i do this/ & people keep askin what am i gonna do/

what in the hell is goin on?


did somebody roll over the library wittta atomic truck

did hitler really burn all the books/ it’s true

nobody in the united states can read or understand

english anymore/ i must have been the last survivor of

a crew from mars/ this is where someone in brown cacky comes

to arrest me & green x-ray lights come outta my eyes & i

can leap over skyscrapers & fly into the night/ i can be

sure no one will find me cuz i am invisible to

ordinary human beings in the u.s.a./ there are no poets

who go to their unemployment officer/ sayin i wanna put

down my profession as ‘poet’/ they are sure to send you to

another office/ the one for aid to totally dependent persons/


people keep tellin me these are hard times/ what are you gonna be

doin ten years from now/ what in the hell do you think/ i

am gonna be writin poems/ i will have poems/ inchin u p the

walls of the lincoln tunnel/ i am gonna feed my children poems on

rye bread with horseradish/ i am gonna send my mailman off

with a poem for his wagon/ give my doctor a poem for his heart/

i am a poet/ i am not a part-time poet/ i am not an amateur

poet/ i dont even know what that person cd be/ whoever that

is authorizing poetry as an avocation/ is a fraud/

put yr own feet on the ground/ writers dont have to plan

another existence forever to live schizophrenically/ to

be jane doe & medea in one body/

i have had it/ i am not goin to grow up to be somethin else

i am goin to be ol & grey wizened & wise as aunt mamie/

i am gonna write poems til i die & when i have gotten outta

this body i am gonna hang round in the wind & know over

everybody who got their feet on the ground/ i’ma let you

run wild/ & leave a poem or two with king kong

in his aeroplane to drop pieces of poems

so you all will haveta come together/ just to figure out/

how you got so far away/ so far away from words

however/ did you capture language/ is a free thing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

I have such great memories of you reading this poem. Thanks, and thanks again.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

As an aside, it's funny the things that get us excited. I have been reading about a programming language, Ruby, and a framework "Ruby on Rails", and AJAX and using MySQL and WEBBrick or mod_something? for Apache...

And it gets my stomach achey as I think, if I knew all this how many amazing things could I make? And how much time and effort and achey-hands would it take to learn it, to really learn it? And there is so much I am already trying to learn.

But that stuff sits there, like the proverbial Jimmy Choo shoes (you know that proverb, right?), waiting, tempting.

If I chase this, what might be lost in the gain?

Who was it that said, "the price of something is the amount of what I call 'life' that must be sacrificed in order to get it"...

So much to create, so little time.

5:25 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

:) I'm using it in my last chapter. It is fun to be near it again.

I do not know the Jimmy Choo proverb. Do share.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

Oh I don't think there is a proverb per se. They are much beloved among shoe lovers. I think there was a sex and the city about them.

They've got a shop in the Galleria in Houston. Come round and I'll show 'em to ya.

11:30 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

I have heard of the shoes, I thought maybe the name came from a proverb or something. I would love to visit.

Soon.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home