Thursday, June 22, 2006

USA lost, PerryKat finishes Chapter 3


Well, I may be a little ahead of myself. I'm almost finished. I need to do a full reading tomorrow and make sure all of my changes are smooth. But, for the most part, I'm now on my last chapter.

That's right, folks, one more chapter and some revision to make all the parts work as a whole, and I'm done. I mean, I'll have to defend it, and a lot of political dancing will have to occur. But, this is the last lap. Oh, boy. I'll be happy when it is over.

I know there are people out there who have two Ph.D.s. Those people are crazy.

AND

As I worked today, I again watched World Cup matches. The US lost, of course. They weren't even really fun to watch. I kept wondering when they would get moving. Ghana will move on to the next round. Good for them.

What do these have in common, you might wonder. Well, I hope not much, unless I'm Ghana in the metaphor. The little country that could. The only African country left in the World Cup. But, I don't feel much like an underdog, even if I come from working class people. I just think that there is a closure on two things, and closure is important to me.

Closure is how things such as Ph.D.s or marathons happen. If you couldn't count off the miles (or at least the hours) as you ran, you might quit long before the finish line. I need every little notch I can get, because the road is long, the mountain is high, the degree is exhausting.

Championships like the World Cups are also endurance tests. Each game has 90 minutes of pain. But each round brings more games, more injuries, more fatigue. Here's to those who move on to the next round (or chapter).

I'll celebrate this weekend...more on that tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

Annette and I were talking about milestones today. We need to see each other every couple of months to get through. She's doing the PhD thing too of course and at a distance.

Well done on the progress. I look forward to hearing about your celebration.

As for the last chapter, well, my mantra is: This too shall pass.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Job!! What's with all the soccer watching?? Can't wait till Tomorrow!!!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home