Wednesday, September 27, 2006

1942

In reading and responding to Ang's post on Co-ed softball, I remembered something I learned recently.

C's grandmother told me that when she was pregnant with C's father, she was asked by her mother if "she was really going out like that" when she was about 6 months pregnant. Apparently, in her mother's time (C's great-grandmother's time), women did not go out into public places after they were showing. Yes, this was 20th century America.

So when I hear about the debates over breast-feeding in public, I guess I should remember that while we have a long way to go, we still have come a long way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

I would ask whether she did in fact go out, but then what would anklebiter have to say?

And, um, I try to remind myself that during the second world war Japanese-Americans were put into internment camps.

So though we still do not live up to our ideals, hopefully were getting closer.

9:19 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

She didn't, in fact, go out -- that day, though she said she did not stay "in" during her entire pregnancy. It is interesting to me that she is still telling that story 65 years later. She said it was the harshest thing her mother ever said to her. But I think the telling of the story was meant to show how "modern" she was, not how mean her mother was.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home