Thursday, December 13, 2007

The thing about xmas

I've been shopping, addressing cards, pulling out storage boxes full of lights and stockings, and looking at the space where we sometimes put a tree. Every year, I have the same conversations with myself. This year, I'd like to let you eavesdrop. They sound something like this:

1) As a non-Christian, what am I decorating my house? The tree and lights come from pagan rituals to ward off evil spirits (and renew the sun god) on the shortest day of the year (solstice). I like the tree and the lights.

2) We don't have children, so we don't have to ask ourselves too much about Santa Claus. But every year I worry and fret about what to buy people, and then I end up asking myself, why do I do this? I believe in giving -- but really, I should give all year round. Is it possible that I allow the holiday season to excuse my selfishness for the rest of the year?

3) The final question in number two leads me to this one. Do I "allow" myself to let communications slip between myself and long distance friends because I know that I will send my annual greeting during the holidays? Would I communicate more if I didn't know I was sending a card every Christmas?

4) Why can't I just say no? No, I don't want to get together with you at Christmas. No, I don't want to swap gifts. No, I don't believe in your god. No, I will no longer participate in the buying of cheap plastic crap under the lie of "peace, love, and good will." The truth is: this is a holiday for consumers. I like to buy things. So, I buy them. Why do I keep saying it is for some noble cause?


5) Here is a cool little list of facts that shows me how new (and commercial) the holiday is: From History.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home