Friday, February 01, 2008

I'm not there

So, I've been searching for a lighter note...

and last night I went to see I'm Not There. It is not a great movie. But it is one of those movies that tries something new; it just fails. However, it is an interesting failure.

But tucked inside the problems of the film are many REALLY excellent performances: Ben Whishaw, Christian Bale, Charlotte Gainsbourg, David Cross, Heath Ledger, and Cate Blanchett.

First, Cate Blanchett. Nothing sexier than a woman playing a man. Particularly a man as sexy as Dylan. She is phenomenal. Her role alone is worth the two hours and ten bucks.

Then there is Heath Ledger. People die everyday. I know. Sometimes, though, their deaths bother me, even though I don't know them personally. Many people felt that way about Princess Diana. I didn't. But Ledger's death reminds me of Cobain's, even if was accidental. I liked him. But this role in I'm Not There makes an now poignant comment on the prices of fame.

Add it to your Netflix list (although it isn't out yet). It's worth the trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home