Wednesday, August 08, 2007

on the second reading of HP

SPOILER ALERT

Okay, so I just finished my second reading of The Deathly Hallows. Some things make more sense now:

* Neville is protected by Harry's sacrifice, not his mother's.
* It was Harry's goodness in his willingness to sacrifice himself -- just like his mother's -- that keeps him alive. That and that Voldemort took his blood. Goodness itself defeats Evil itself.
* It is quite a Christian story -- which makes all of the Christian uproar over the magic/witchcraft wonderfully ironic.
* I still think that he dies -- but, I can see the other argument too. It really depends on whether you read death metaphorically (like I do) or physically.
* I love Dumbledore's little speech about power and the hallows. Only one person in a million can have power without greed. This, I think, is one of the best lessons in the series.



Still: I don't see how Neville gets the sword unless we are to believe that wizards do have more right to it than goblins.

:)
Okay -- I think I'm done now. But I'm going back to book one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home