Monday, February 11, 2008

dry spell

While it must seem to you that I'm all washed up, I must admit that I am writing like crazy. Maybe I'm just not much of a multi-tasker, I don't know. The more poetry and creative stuff I write, the less energy I have to blog.

On the other hand, I've not seen any good movies lately. I spent two days hunched over a toilet vomiting last week. And there is nothing new on the home front.

So, I have no real ideas.

I did hear someone (an African-American male, if I remember correctly) on television say the other night that the democratic primary season is proving that, as a nation, we are more sexist than racist.

I think he is right.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

One statistical analysis of the primary and caucus results indicated that, in the South, the Obama candidacy is viewed primarily through the prism of race, in general to his benefit due to large African-American turnout in Democratic primaries. Not so outside the South, where economics are the more important determinant, with Obama attracting wealthier Democrats who want a healer and Clinton winning poorer Democrats who want fighter.

Another interesting twist is that Obama has played very well in lily-white "red" states (Nebraska, Idaho) ... a theory there being that the homogeneity makes race less of an issue than in places like Southern California, where greater racial tensions exist.

So perhaps, racism is greater where races mix, but gender mixes everywhere, with a greater net effect?

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home