Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thoughts on the psychology of cleaning

So, if I'm adding correctly, I've been living in my new apartment for three weeks. I've kept things somewhat tidy, but not exactly clean.

When I was pregnant, I thought I would hire a cleaning service as a sort of indulgence, a pampering that would: keep me away from harmful chemicals, treat myself, and keep me from over exertion (I tend to vacuum like a fiend). I've been watching the size of the dust bunnies growing in the corners, and checking out a few services on the internet.

When I found out today that I had miscarried, I came home, ate a little snack, and immediately got to work scrubbing floors.

Now, I was not hands-and-knees bucket in hand, but I was sweeping, mopping...

As I watched the wood floor go from dull to shiny, I started wondering about myself and my almost neurotic desire for clean floors. I mean, the tables can be stacked high with paper and mess, and I don't care, but when I see dirty floors, I'm grossed out.

The only thing I can think of now, is that it is a clean slate...a baseline cleanliness that it is somehow akin to the beginning of a semester...the fresh bouquet of newly sharpened pencils...fresh start.

So, my little apartment smells clean. My slate is clean. I am wondering what will come next.

2 Comments:

Blogger perrykat said...

Yes, I am commenting on my own post, from December 2010.

I think this: Zi's birth mother was pregnant with Zi at this time -- about three months pregnant. Somehow, the universe really did put things together for us. I scrubbed those floors, and some woman in China made the hardest decision of her life.

And here we are...

12:20 PM  
Blogger noor said...


نقل عفش من الرياض الى البحرين نقل عفش من الرياض الى البحرين

نقل عفش من الرياض الى سلطنة عمان نقل عفش من الرياض الى سلطنة عمان

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home