Thursday, June 01, 2006

Self portraits and the proverbial thousand words

Having a non-beauty day as I am, and needing a picture for this blog, I did a stupid thing.

I started taking pictures of myself.




Yes, I that's right. And after downloading these beauties to my computer, I found that while I look quite atrocious, some interesting things showed up:

Those were the first three I took, and they were taken in order. Notice that it doesn't occur to me to smile until the third picture. Also notice that I didn't bother to get out of bed, get dressed, brush my hair, or put on make-up. Finally, I think my eyes are quite scary. A bit intense for an empty room and camera.

After looking over these photos, I decided I was quite a boring subject, so I tried a few with the only living creature around: Phoenix. These are more interesting to me:




These actually seem like better self-portraits to me. First, my eyes don't seem quite as forbidding. Maybe I'm just better in profile. But something in me thinks that Pullman has his finger on an idea: daemons. Phoenix is mine. Without him, my photos are incomplete.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

Intensity... maybe it's back to that whole 'who is the audience' thing.

Classic way to look like a baddie: tilt your head down and then roll your eyes up, exposing the whites of your eyes under the pupils. It increases the visible space between pupils and cheeks, making your eye sockets look more gaunt/hollowed out. Holding the camera above you and looking up gives the same effect. And smiling (lifting cheeks) closes this area.

Full of random observations today...

10:23 AM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Comet, that is my favorite too -- it is the one picture of the bunch that I like, and it was a mistake -- had the zoom too far in. Interesting.

Yes, Jebbo, a classic baddie -- that's me. :)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home