Friday, August 25, 2006

Blogging Danger

I was listening to NPR yesterday on my way to work. One of their pieces was on some of the possible dangers of blogs and “My Space” kind of personal web pages. According to the interviewee, many companies now do web searches on potential employees. That means if your blog/webpage is somehow connected to whatever name or information you use to apply for a job, some suit somewhere might read it and partially use the content of your posts to decide if you will “fit” at their company. While I can understand why a company might want to find out more about people before they hire them, I wonder if they realize how much of what is posted is “performance.” I would venture to guess that most of my blogs really only present a small part of me, and quite possibly a thought or emotion that is fleeting at best. Are these companies actually considering that the personas presented on the blogs are not the complete person? I hope so.


This is even more important to me because I’m now entering the job market (or will next month), and today I received an email from a friend who found this blog by doing a google search. (Hey Les!)

In some sort of synchronicity that I don't understand fully, Twice the Rice and Tiny Can Pants both touched on this subject today.


Life is fun, isn’t it?


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Note: In looking for the NPR link, I came across today's story on Auburn. I, of course, can't find the piece I heard. I'm still looking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home