Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Rain, Writing, and other inspirations

Well, maybe I've gotten you here under false pretenses; I'm not sure you'll find much inspiration on this blog today.

But, what the hell...while you're here, sit down a minute...have a cup of tea...or bottle of beer...

It is raining today in my area of the country. There are tsunamis elsewhere in the world, but they weren't as bad as they might have been. We haven't had a tornado yet, but other parts of the southeast may not be as lucky. I don't much like rain: at least not being in it. I like plants, flowers, and drinking water, so I try not to complain about the rain when it comes. But there is something, even to those of us who worship the sun, about being warm and dry and listening to the rain on the roof of your house. It makes me want a tin roof. I get to listen in on all kinds of good things that are happening around me (washing the pollen out of the air, giving drinks of water to the grass, filling the water reserves) without having to feel the growing pains, slick roads, and wet clothes.

It also gives me a reason to stay put. Sometimes I need that.

Even more interesting, rain makes me want to write. I don't know how to explain that, how to understand that the thumping on my roof turns on the itching in my fingers and chest. But here I am, listening to the rain, snuggling up next to my dog, and wishing I had something profound to say... this is the problem with inspiration, sometimes it comes without reason.

Sigh.

The Weather Channel says: Flash Flood Watch

I'm looking out for a wash of ideas. I'll let you know if it appears.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

just finished cloud atlas, currently listening to a podcast berkeley course on existentialism.

there is so much in the world.

what to do with it all.

5:16 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

I love this class -- I'm still listening. Make sure to get the films (his syllabus is still online). I haven't read all the books -- no time, but I wish I could.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home