Monday, July 16, 2007

Harry Potter and other important things

Whew.

C and I spent Saturday and Sunday moving my junk to Montgomery and painting the living room there. It feels good to have most of the work finished. I go back Thursday because the furniture is being delivered. And except for my body and Phoenix's body, a few small things, and my summer clothes, I am moved.

On the other hand, the mood at my house is pretty tense. We now have to face the choices we've made. Reality is no fun to contend with.

On the other hand: I saw the Potter movie (Order of the Phoenix) on Friday -- LOVED it. It is the best one yet. The "children" are better actors now than they were, and this movie allowed the story to be dark. I think maybe they have figured out that this isn't a cute, sweet story. There were a few hokey things here and there, but it was overall an excellent movie. Funny (as I told my co-potter-enthusiast friend) how the worst book made the best movie. Well, it isn't really funny. It always seems that great books are terrible movies and vice versa. I recommend it if you haven't seen it already.

Also, at the Harry Potter movie, they showed a trailer for the movie version of The Golden Compass (to be released in December). OH MY GOD. Looks incredible. Nicole Kidman plays Ms. Coulter and Daniel Craig plays Lord Asriel! A cool website on the film is here. You can answer a short quiz (20 question) and it will tell you what animal your daemon is! Mine is an Osprey

But, of course, the biggest news is that the final Harry Potter book (The Deathly Hallows) will be released on Saturday. I plan go with my co-potter-enthusiast friend to the midnight release party and to read it next weekend. Don't call me or email me or text me. I'll be busy reading. I just can't imagine how Rowling will end this thing and make everyone happy. My predictions?

Well, I think that Harry is the last horcrux and he will have to die in order to kill Voldemort. Dumbledore will be like Obi Wan after he died and "more powerful than ever." In fact, he may have even done something like Lily Potter and protected Harry some sort of "love magic" when he died. Jenny and Neville will be key to helping Harry succeed in this one, and if Rowling has guts, she'll only leave Ron and Hermoine as the survivors. If she doesn't kill Harry, I'll renounce all adoration for the books (unless she is so brilliant that she can think of another way out that doesn't involve "happily ever after"). I promise to give all of you not-as-crazy-as-me readers out there a week or so before I post on the book.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

I guess it will be up to me to post the Sunday early-AM spoilers then...

I had a less enthusiastic reception for this movie (though I had a headache during it which had to effect my perception at least a little). More on that later.

Remember to have fun.

I shudder to even look at the Golden Compass (Northern Lights! Northern Lights!) movie. It's like Ani DiFranco running for President. If every country gets the government it deserves, I fear the same is usually true of mainstream art and with mainstream artists I just can't put my hope in it. I will remain curmudgeonly on it, in part because curmudgeonly is such a fun word.

Must eat. More to come.

8:09 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Interesting. I plan to see the movie again, so maybe I'll see it differently during the second viewing. None of the movies compare to the books. I had my usual internal battles during this one where the movie failed the book:
1) Why did Cho become the snitch?
2) What happened to Ron and Hermoine becoming prefects?
3) More on Snape and James/Lily needed explanation
4) What about the fact that Neville could have been the one too?
5) What about all of Harry's horrible temper tantrums?
6) Why did they have Harry say what Dumbledore tells him in the end about love...bad move
7) Why did no one get hurt at the ministry?

and on and on

But, what I liked is that the overall story rang true to the book's story.

Anyway. I look forward to more on your thoughts.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home