Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Road -- Another book

Well, one thing about not working: I'm able to get some reading done. Recently, I've read:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Native Guard by Natasha Trethewey
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
The Inheritance of Loss (in progress) by Kiran Desai
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

McCarthy and Trethewey both won Pulitzers this year for their books. Trethewey's Native Guard is the best books of poetry that I've read in the last five years. She is absolutely brilliant. (In case you've forgotten, she is why I went back to Auburn to study -- even though she left for Emory after I accepted my position there, so I did not get to study with her). The McCarthy book is startling. It is good, but difficult. Not in that it is hard to understand, but it is a journey and the journey is a hard one to take. At the end, I wanted something different. But others seem to find his ending hopeful.

I don't know -- the kid drove me crazy. I find it interesting that the very thing that makes me think that Harry must die is the same metaphor that drove me crazy about the child in The Road. And of course, he doesn't ... well, I won't spoil it for you.

Okay. I'm going to think about something else.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

I'd love to see one of those charts showing the distribution of how many books people read per year, broken down by different factors. Maybe that's why I don't read more... I'm more fascinated by looking up statistics.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home