Thursday, September 07, 2006

Steve Irwin

I will miss the crocodile hunter.

I don't really have much to say here, but I logged on to You Tube and saw a few "tributes" to Irwin (picture slideshows set to "I will remember you" and the like) as well as a few "jokes" (that included a clip of stingrays and was titled, Irwin's last video). Those were in poor taste, I thought.

When I found out he had been killed, I did feel like the world lost something.

I'm not much for "spiritual" thoughts, but I'd be lying if I said I don't think that this planet is like (or is) an organism. When something happens to the finger, the toe feels it. This helps me make sense of my depression when I hear news of war, disasters, and tragedies. It may even be true that the organism is bigger than I know, and that might explain some strange joyfulness I sometimes feel: maybe they are making peace on X10 in the 9890 galaxy.

In any case, I think of the son of a good friend and how Irwin inspired him to look closely at snakes and other creatures without squirming. Even in helping to make that change in one kid, Irwin did a lot. I feel certain he helped millions of us make very similar changes.

So, to those who keep making jokes: Fuck You.

For the rest of us, a moment of silence. Or even better, give a dollar to Wildlife Warriors in his name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home