Thursday, December 07, 2006

Looking for a cure...

for Christmas.

I've made some radical changes in my holiday plans this year: this is the first year in all (soon to be) 37 years of my life that I will not spend Christmas with my parents. Feels good.

Now that I've made that change (and I am holding on to the decision with white knuckles as every person I am "ditching" pulls against me), I wonder how to solve the rest of the bullshit that surrounds this well-meaning, but totally insane, holiday.

Must I buy crap that no one likes to give as gifts? Must I feel guilty if I don't? Must I ignore the "season of giving" and replace it with the season of shopping? Must I? Of course not. Yet here I am again this year fleecing the malls for a perfect gift. It's maddening.

I've vowed that this year I will spend the 25th of December giving my TIME to a worthy cause. I hope to have that nailed down by next week.

The rest of it still plagues me: a disease.

Anyone got a cure?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can skip gift buying for me...one less person..one less stress!! :) done most of my shopping so far online...much better...cds are on the way my friend.. :)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

be aware that it can actually be hard to volunteer time at Xmas (and thanksgiving) as lots of people choose to do so at these times. Annette and I have tried before... so set it up early!

this year i'm trying to tap into those things about xmas that bring me the most joy. i've always liked carols, for example, and am thinking of getting tickets to a concert of some sort (operatic etc, not rock).

i always find the muppet christmas album makes me happy.

another thing i used to do, less so now: i tried to buy things for people that i thought they'd like, throughout the year, and xmas was just the time when you sent whatever you had found.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home