Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Survival and other trivia

Well, I think I am surviving. Thanks for the advice. I bought some gifts online, and I bought the Muppet Christmas album. I haven't exploded yet.

Instead, I'm back to dissertation writing, and it is amazing how you can just crank out the pages when deadlines are close. I guess that's why we have deadlines.

I'm still not eating sugar or wheat -- other than one or two minor slip ups due to Holiday parties and available food supplies. I still feel good. C has now started the no sugar diet. He says no way on giving up wheat. He can't stand the idea of doing without bread.

I have not scored even one interview as of yet. I may end up being one of the 60% of English Ph.D.'s who don't get a job their first year out of school. It is quite depressing. I guess when you go to a school that is known for football rather than academics, you are bound to be in the bottom 60%. Oh well.

On the other hand, Reinhardt is giving me three courses next semester and two of them are actual English courses! I am looking forward to teaching those. I also look forward to only teaching for one school. Driving all over the place gets old.

Other thoughts: What will I do with my 37th year? How could I get certified to teach yoga classes without having to take time off from work? Will I ever actually become a parent?

ahhh. the scatterings of the human mind...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

Not sure about 37, but in my 34 i am enjoying a hot prosciutto and provolone panini with new england clam chowder, while drinking spanish borsao and reading dostoyevsky on the floor.

some of the best goals are very small ones.

glad you are well. as for diets, i have found much more happiness in diets defined by what one does eat than what one does not. semantic, i realize, but no less effective for that.

j

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home