Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Nomadic

We (C & I) like to think of ourselves as movable. We like to think that we could pick up and move to the next town without missing a beat.

But, I fear that we are fooling ourselves and that we have been fooling ourselves for quite some time (even while we moved from place to place).

I was thinking about Jebbo's post on roots, and it seems that we are like a strange breed of plant that only needs to touch the soil to survive, but as soon as we touch it, those roots dive downward, looking for nutrition.

And here's the disturbing part. We're so accomplished at getting by on so little, we fail to notice when the well is dry. We stay put and suck and suck, waiting for a miracle to happen. Meanwhile, the leaves are falling off and the stems are getting weak.

Springtime approaches. Once upon a time people moved to the places where their needs could be met. They rolled up their tents and moved to where the water was plentiful. (This explains why the desert southwest did not really develop until the 1960s). Today, we go where a job is. We forget that "water" is necessary.

I am looking at the fallen leaves around me.

I am wondering when I will learn.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

If I were still in DC I'd say something about it raining in Baltimore.

But as it is, it's day 3 of thunderstorms in Houston. Crashing vibrations on the windowpanes.

I've been wanting to do a post of things I love. Wanting for ages. Soon, perhaps.

For now, just this.

Thunderstorms.

(and good wine with good friends, which may be the same thing)

9:31 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

Texas has excellent thunderstorms. Something about all that flat land...all that space for the thunder to echo around in. Amarillo storms were just incredible.

Enjoy.

Metaphorically, though, is it really soaking wet in Houston?

11:56 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

More humid. Steamy.

Waiting for a cold breeze to come in from the north and kick something off.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home