Monday, May 07, 2007

The World and Other places

There are incredibly good and bad things happening in the world (and other places too, I'm sure).

I will graduate on Thursday. Unbelievable.

Jebbo pointed out the depth of the corruption in our government. Unbelievable.

And this weekend I watched two interesting movies.

Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and part of The Short films of David Lynch.

The human condition is a strange/horrible/beautiful thing. We are capable of murder and torture. We are capable of love and nurture.

For me, the lens tends to focus on the worst parts. I see pain and suffering; I feel shame and sympathy. That glass is always nearing empty.

So, when good things happen, I tend to see the cloud approaching: the stress of a gathering of family members, the horror of walking across a stage in front of 10,000 people, the ripping away of my favorite yoga routine while I leave town for a few days.

Today, I want to spend one moment thinking: Those people are actually going to hand me that piece of paper. I am going to Utah to hike. Good things.

The rest will have its time to envelope me, to drown me soon enough.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

Enjoy Utah. Remind me when Texas Gulf Coast is coming, I'll put it on the calendar.

Congratulations, by the way.

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home