Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Something objective...or at least an object


So, I was going to blog about the Bhagavad Gita (yet another book), when I thought to myself that I am tired of talking about books and ideas.

So, I was looking around my house for something concrete to write about. I don't have any flowers. I never do. Charles has never bought flowers for me and I rarely buy them for myself. Part of that is because I hate to think of them dying to stay in my kitchen for a few days. But, they die anyway, so that's a silly excuse.

I only recently made the connection that we send flowers to funerals (traditionally) because they mask the smell of death (thank you Dostoevsky). I also understand the connection between romantic love and flowers -- the sex/reproduction connection is obvious. So, why do we plant them in our yards and cut them and bring them inside? The smell? The aesthetic?

And, why don't I buy flowers for myself? I look at them almost every time I pass them in the grocery store florist. They seem like such a luxury. Yet I allow myself other luxuries ... lots of them. Why not flowers?

So, while I spoil myself in many ways, what I am noticing is that I don't spoil my aesthetic tastes. I don't buy art even though I love it, and I don't buy flowers even though I love them. I somehow think that these are things I am not "worth." But I'm beginning to disagree with myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

I buy flowers for the sheer beauty of them.

You mention indulging other luxuries, but not aethetic ones. I wonder what those are. That might be informative.
This also goes to our discussion about drinking (really tasty) wines. I suspect it is something to do with the class background.

1:01 PM  
Blogger perrykat said...

That is the point, I don't do much that is purely aesthetic -- I indulge in:

nice house
nice car
nice clothes
nice yoga studio
nice massages
nice foods

But all of those have (at least to some small degree) utility. But flowers or art ... I can't seem to justify them because they don't have the utility part.

Yes, this probably is all about class issues.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

I think of the food stuff: Quantity, Quality, Presentation.

A.k.a. Survival, Comfort, Aesthetic

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home