Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Pay by check

Nowadays I do almost everything electronically. I pay my bills, communicate with my friends, set up meetings with students, even shop for jeans (that's right girls, I order them without trying them on -- they can always be returned).

You press a button and viola -- it is done, immediately: the jeans are on the way, the bill is paid, the meeting is for 10:30 am. There is no more lag time.

I'm not much for nostalgia; in general, I believe in moving with the times. Keep up or let it go. But I do sometimes long for those few days of money in the bank while the check moves through the postal system: that cushion time where we could coast for a day or two, think about the possibilities, breathe a bit, you know?

The thing is, there used to be a little wiggle room, a little time left over. Immediacy has its advantages. I sure hope it does. In the mean time, if there is one, I find myself longing for a day or two before the proverbial check clears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home