Thursday, August 23, 2007

Her fingertips touching, hands in triangle

Hard to describe that particular position of the hands. Not in Namaste, but similar in height: across the chest. Instead of being in "prayer," they are open to form an empty cube between them.

It is a position I associate with pondering.

This is the pondering...

Went tonight to the independent movie theater within 1 minute (driving) of my house. Saw Evening. Not stellar, but sure was a lot better than mainstream movies. Claire Danes disappointed me. But it was nice to go to such a movie. I can "join" the theater (like one joins a museum) and go for $5. Cool.

I like my students. They are much like Auburn students. Much like myself. A little more religious, but at 18, so was I. Man, life is a trip.

I am looking at the boxes of time on my weekly calendar, and seeing that already the boxes are filling. I feel okay about that, but I am starting to feel cautious of any extra invitations or expectations. Maybe that is an important lesson that finally, after 37 years, I learn.

Distance is the real cause of my pondering. I have stepped back a moment to look at the possibilities. The two roads that Frost made cliche. I can see how one must make choices, efforts, even commitments to keep the distance from tearing everything apart.

At the end of the movie, Redgrave says, there are no mistakes in life. Just try to be happy.

I'd like to look back on my life and say that I did that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jebbo said...

I look forward to someday coming to visit there.

Haven't blogged much due to impending travel plans and associated craziness (wouldn't know anything about that, would you?).

Regarding mistakes in life, there is one poem/story that Jewel Kilcher wrote that is the closest thing I think of to guidance against such. Let me see if I can find it.

... well, it's very long. About a guy "Grimshaw" who came to her shows when she was a kid, who shot himself. Here's the end of it:

"
I came up to everyone's belt bucke
and had to crank my neck back
to look up at all the adults.
So I just studied people's wasitlines and listened
to the disjointed melody of the broken men
gathered into a loose know for the tavern wake.
One man's face was worn out but his eyes were bright.
He said, "He has a cabin out on Fox Road."
Another winked down at me saying
"I sure hope he's happy."
They all talked about him as if he were still alive.

I found out Grimshaw went to Nam when he was 18,
to be a surgeon when he wasn't one.
He had to hurt people until he learned.

I stood that day among the bar flies and regulars
and made a vow - the kind a child makes -
to face things as they came
so they wouldn't compound with time and become
like huge ships, impossible to turn around.

"

I try to do the same.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Jebbo said...

typos - "waistlines", "loose knot"

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home