Thursday, September 13, 2007

Silence

I've always been terrified and fascinated with silence. It is both exhilarating and demoralizing. Sometimes I love letting a class sit quietly thinking, sometimes their silence unnerves me.

Living alone leaves lots of moments silent that might otherwise been filled with conversation. I talk to the dog a lot.

I've been silent on the blog too. There are lists of reasons for them. None of the reasons are adequate.

Here is what I am feeling:

When I look back, my life seems to be a series of choices. I never knew when I was making the choices all of the information I needed. As I sit alone, silent, I am only certain of one thing: uncertainty.

I get up, I move, I breathe. I listen to the walls as they pop and creak. The dog is warm at my side.

I sleep. I dream.

I don't know much more than that. I imagine that I am not alone.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! It's funny last night I was in my hammock thinking the same thing. I tend to want to pick up the phone to have some kind of interaction, but quickly veto it. Maybe it's meant to be that the silence teaches us something. Different in context but we can all learn from the silence around us.

4:04 PM  
Blogger anklebiter said...

I imagine that you are not alone, too.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me too

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home