Friday, September 07, 2007

The same everywhere

My crazy-religious mother always says that the world become chaotic (i.e. no law abiding citizens) when the "rapture" happens because all of the Christians will be gone. I've finally outgrown fighting with her about it, but I can say this:

there are cheaters everywhere

Now that I teach at a Methodist school, I have had the benefit of having two problems happen to me within 10 minutes of each other: First, I caught two guys "sharing" homework (which turns out to mean that one went on the other's computer, changed the name, and turned it in as his own). Then, within minutes, a kid came to me because he thought I was "penalizing his grade" for giving a presentation that was anti-abortion. When I said no, you got a B instead of an A because you didn't talk about LITERATURE in a LITERATURE class, he said, well, this is a Methodist College, and he was not going to apologize for his religion.

I tell you. This is a crazy world, and when the Christians are zapped into heaven, it will still be the same crazy world. Only then, the rest of us will be under no illusions about where our morals and ethics come from.

Kid number two in the paragraph above ended his "presentation" with
"Christians, are you going to do something about it (abortions) and Atheists, what if you're wrong?"

The number of things wrong with this "discussion question" are boundless, but my favorite way to think about it, as I said to him in class, is to turn it around on him...Christians, what if you're wrong? The humor was somehow lost on him.

So, now, I am left to ask myself, how, as a non-Christian, I find the ethics to prosecute cheaters.

God only knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home