Monday, January 08, 2007

School Starts

I think that one thing that drives me to be an academic is the sense of "fresh starts" that comes with the beginning of each new term: new students, new classes, and as my friend always says, "The fresh bouquet of newly sharpened pencils." I think most people at least remember the excitement/nervousness of the new term (especially in college) with a sense of nostalgia.

I get to live in nostalgia.

But with that excitement comes some stress. I dreamt of the first class meeting for what seemed like hours last night. I hadn't made copies of my syllabus, I wasn't ready for classes to start, the students were unruly and did not let me talk, and I was wearing some horrible outfit that didn't match.

Stress dreams: C still dreams that he sleeps through and misses an exam. I sometimes dream about waiting on tables and not being able to get anything done. We are strange little creatures aren't we.

Anyway. Like Jebbo, I'm back to work.

Here's to hoping that Florida can make the SEC look great tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home