Sunday, July 04, 2010

For Phoenix

As most of you know, we euthanized Phoenix yesterday.  I wrote this for him this week.

RIP little buddy.

Lung Cancer
     for Phoenix


He grabs for breath, his rib cage pulsing like an accordion
that only rasps in a single note.  I can hear the fluid
holding him to the life raft, his eyes glassy as they look to some lost
place.  I cover him with blankets, bring water and my body
to comfort him.  He takes a drink and lowers his head
back to the bed; I disappear.  The air surrounds us
and my chests aches with the ease of my inhale, the exhale
following without my control. His struggle’s weight
caves the bed’s center, and he coughs, lightly,
as if there is nothing there to expel.  I know better.

When he gags, spits out a tiny mouthful of blood,
I wonder how much liquid a lung can hold.  How much
will drown him?  This is not the single, clean inhale
of salt water after a shipwreck.  This is a long, slow
death process that feels like sawing off pieces
of my body, one mouthful at a time.  


Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Sorry again about Phoenix... he is in the big Beagle Park in the sky with trees full of bones :)

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss of Phoenix. Whenever a pet dies he takes a part of us with him. Love, Charlotte

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about Phoenix. He was really good to and for you. We know you will miss him terribly.Love you,Vonda

12:05 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

So sad. Such a vivid, clear poem. So sad.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home